And the fabulous stained glass windows
There has been a church on this site since St Deiniol, a sixth century Welsh saint, planted his staff here. William Gladstone, the nineteenth century prime minister, worshipped and was married here. Much of the building was destroyed by fire in 1857. The church was restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott and the Gladstone family.
The Gladstone memorial chapel, depicting William and Catherine Gladstone lying in the boat of life, was completed in 1906.
Photos: St Deiniol’s Church, Hawarden, North Wales.[17th October 2015]